Icing Angel Parties

I'm Alison Woodall and I'm The Icing Angel. I host icing parties and workshops for children and this blog is where I share my latest baking projects. Check out www.theicingangel.com for details on how to book a party.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Edible Dinosaur Fossils

I’ve seen so many recipes on Pinterest for clay to make dinosaur fossils out of, but none of them are edible.  I was hosting a dinosaur birthday party last week so I was on a mission to make an dinosaur fossil that tasted good.
I bought some little dinosaurs and these three were the best shapes to use as they were simple and easily recognizable.
Feb 2012 - 4 076
My first try was with Starburst.
Feb 2012 - 3 038

Feb 2012 - 3 039
It seemed like it should have worked but you could hardly see the outline of the dinosaur.
Feb 2012 - 3 041
I even tried putting oreo crumbs in the shape to outline it, but that just made it look worse.
Feb 2012 - 3 043
They tasted great, but didn’t really work as fossils.  Next I tried white chocolate (I didn’t have milk chocolate, which would have looked more like rock).
Feb 2012 - 3 044
They looked great but I couldn’t get the dinosaur out of chocolate without cracking it.
Feb 2012 - 3 045
Again they tasted good but they didn’t look good.
Feb 2012 - 3 046
My last attempt was using one of my favorite recipes – oreo truffles.  The photos are blurry and because the truffles are so dark the fossils don’t show up to well, but they worked perfectly.
Feb 2012 - 4 077
I flatten a ball of the truffle mix and then pressed a dinosaur into the truffle.
Feb 2012 - 4 083
Then I put them into the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.  If your kids are desperate to eat them you could put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes or just let the kids eat them as they are.  I let mine harden as I needed them for the party and wanted them to be firm.
Feb 2012 - 4 087
They looked much better when you make them rather than in the photo.  I turned them upside down in a bowl of oreo crumbs and had the kids at the party pretend they were excavating, which they loved.
Feb 2012 - 4 088
Feb 2012 - 4 089
My children just had great fun making footprints and molds of dinosaurs and candy.  I’ll definitely make truffle fossils again.
Feb 2012 - 4 030
Feb 2012 - 4 031
Feb 2012 - 4 032

No comments:

Post a Comment