Icing Angel Parties

I'm Alison Woodall and I'm The Icing Angel. I host icing parties and workshops for children and this blog is where I share my latest baking projects. Check out www.theicingangel.com for details on how to book a party.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bunny Cupcakes

I made a batch of oreo truffles last week to make Easter chicks out of and I was inspired by a design I saw in my Hello Cupcake book.  They showed the tail of a rabbit sticking out of a burrow and I thought I’d make my version.  I know that to create an actual rabbit is beyond my skills (as you’ll see at the end of this post), but I figured I could make a rabbit’s bottom.
March 2012 - 1 083
First I rough iced a cupcake to look like grass
March 2012 - 1 090
Then I covered my oreo truffle ball in white chocolate.  It didn’t need to be smooth as rabbits are pretty fluffy. Then I stuck a mini marshmallow tail on the truffle ball and piped feet using white icing and added claws using a small piping tip and chocolate icing.
March 2012 - 1 089
It looked a bit bare so I added some flowers
March 2012 - 1 091
Then because I had some oreo crumbs left over, I scattered them around the rabbit’s bottom to look as if he’d kicked up some dirt.
March 2012 - 1 093
The overall result was very cute and it’s probably one of my favorite cupcake designs.  I think I’ll make them as Easter treats from my children’s preschool classes.
March 2012 - 1 094
I was so happy with this cupcake that I was inspired to try to make a rabbit’s head.  As you can see I’m not very good at making anything that requires a cute expression.  I used large marshmallows for the ears, with pink icing piped inside and then a mini marshmallow cut in half for the teeth.  The eyes are M&Ms and it’s nose is a blob of icing. My children liked it, but I don’t think I’d make them again.  It’s also really hard to keep the ears from falling down.  I’ll stick to rabbit’s bottoms.
March 2012 - 1 100

No comments:

Post a Comment