Icing Angel Parties

I'm Alison Woodall and I'm The Icing Angel. I host icing parties and workshops for children and this blog is where I share my latest baking projects. Check out www.theicingangel.com for details on how to book a party.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Stained Glass Valentine’s Cookies

I found this idea for stained glass cookies ages ago and really wanted to try it.  We’ve made them for Christmas before and they were very pretty.  I used my usual cookie recipe as it’s tried and tested, but I’m sure this recipe would work just as well.
Jan 2012 - 1 166
I used the cookie cutters from the Wilton 101 cookie cutter box and I saved the hearts from the center to make other Valentine’s cookie ideas (I’ll post those later).
Jan 2012 - 1 167
I put the cookies on a silicone liner as I thought they would be less likely to stick than if I put them straight on the baking sheet.  Then I put a Jolly Ranger in the center of each cookie.
Jan 2012 - 1 168Jan 2012 - 1 169
I baked them for about 8 minutes which is how long the cookies usually take to bake, and the candy was melted and bubbling by then.  I left them to cool for about 10 minutes and they peeled easily off the silicone mat.  I did try one on a greased baking sheet and it was OK.  The center had to be completely cool and hard before it would lift off though, so baking on the silicone is definitely better.
Jan 2012 - 1 178
Jan 2012 - 1 185
As you can see they came out quite well.  The semi circle on the blue cookie is the imprint from the silicone mat, so any imperfection does show up.
Jan 2012 - 1 186
Jan 2012 - 2 006Jan 2012 - 2 003Jan 2012 - 2 007
I always wonder how many cookies baking websites have to make to get the few perfect ones that they photograph. I’ve never done a blog that anyone other than family sees before this one, so now I feel the pressure to be ‘perfect’. I baked 12 cookies and only 4 were perfect. The rest either weren’t perfect heart shapes or the jolly rancher spilled over the outside of the heart, but the kids still thought they tasted great.
Jan 2012 - 1 176

No comments:

Post a Comment