Icing Angel Parties

I'm Alison Woodall and I'm The Icing Angel. I host icing parties and workshops for children and this blog is where I share my latest baking projects. Check out www.theicingangel.com for details on how to book a party.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Owl Crispy Treats

I usually make crispy treats that are flat and cut out with cookie cutters but I’d been asked if I could make an owl.  I took a small handful of the crispy treat mixture when it was slightly warm and shaped it into an egg.  I covered in with yellow candy melt, as that was the color I had available, but any color would have done as I was covering it in Oreo crumbs.
Feb 2012 - 2 012
I always cover my crispy treats in candy melts because otherwise they aren’t as durable, they tend to disintegrate when you try to decorate them.  By the time I came to decorate the owl the candy melt was dry, so I covered it with icing and then dipped it in Oreo crumbs.  If the candy melt had still been wet I could just have dipped it in the Oreo crumbs and not worried about the icing.
Feb 2012 - 2 018
I’ve made owl cupcakes before and usually use Oreos for the eyes, but I didn’t have any, so used chocolate candy melts and eyes the Wilton makes.  I used the same chocolate candy melts for the wings, but they actually would have looked better if they had been bigger, so I would use Oreos in future.  The ‘feather horns’ that owls have were made out of a candy melt cut in half and the beak was a banana runt.  Once I’d made him I decided his beak was too big, so I cut it down, which looked much better, but when I tried to make the horns smaller they looked worse.  Overall I thought he looked cute and he was very easy to make. Definitely a project younger children could easily handle.
Feb 2012 - 2 020

No comments:

Post a Comment